Q&A Session for Families (Supporters)

Financial Questions

How do I become an authorized user for my student’s account?

The University of Connecticut does not have a single waiver that students can sign to give parents access to their records. In carrying out their assigned responsibilities, many offices at UConn collect and maintain information about students.

The University does have a process called the “Online FERPA Privacy Waiver” that allows students to grant permission to university staff to discuss certain aspects of their educational record to designated individuals. The Online FERPA Privacy Waiver includes six categories of information: Financial Aid, Residential Life, Husky One-Card, Academic Information (Office of the Registrar), Community Standards (The Student Code), and Dean of Students Office.

To learn more: FERPA

Can families/ guardians make an appointment to ask Financial Aid/ Scholarship questions?

For general Financial Aid and Scholarship questions, families can reach out to UConn's Office of Financial Aid at (860) 486-2819 or financialaid@uconn.edu

Before calling, emailing, or visiting the Financial Aid office to discuss a student’s record, please ensure that the student has identified you as a designee and that you have your FERPA code available. To learn more about FERPA, please see the question above. 

What is FAFSA?

Financial aid is monetary assistance to help your student meet the expenses of going to college. The Financial Aid Awards may include one or a combination of UConn, state and federal loans, grants, scholarships, and/ or employment opportunities.

To apply, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please note that it is entirely FREE to complete and submit the FAFSA.

What are student loans? How does that apply to UConn?

A student loan is money the student borrows from the federal government or a private lender to help pay for college costs. The loan has to be paid back later, along with the interest that builds up over time. The money the student receives is then used for UConn tuition, supplies, books, and living expenses.

When are fee bills due?

To learn more about not only fee bill deadlines, but also payment methods, direct deposit, waivers, and more contact our Office of the Bursar at 860-486-4830 or Bursar@uconn.edu. 

Academics & Advising

What is an Academic Advisor?

An academic advisor is someone who guides you through your college degree. All degrees have requirements you must complete to graduate. Your advisor can help you choose your classes and will also make sure you've met all the requirements for your big day – graduation!

When should student’s expect to be contacted by an advisor to schedule classes?

Students will be introduced to their assigned Academic Advisor during Orientation. During this time, students will learn about UConn's Student Admin system and walk through the registration process with their Advisors.

When is the first day of classes?

The Spring 2023 Semester begins on Tuesday, January 17, 2023.  To view the 2022-2023 Academic Calendar, please click here.

Residence Life & Dining

Can students live in Storrs and attend UConn Hartford?

Yes, students of the Hartford Campus can live at the Storrs Campus. Students are responsible for arranging their own transportation to and from Storrs.  There is public transportation that runs between Hartford and Storrs several times a day for students who do not own a vehicle. 

Is there a bus pass included with tution?

Yes, all students who are matriculated and registered for courses, with a valid UConn ID and fees are paid are eligible to receive a U-Pass through the Office of Student Services. For more information, visit our Parking Services page.

What is a Meal plan? Can my Hartford Campus student get one?

Yes, Hartford Campus students who live at the Storrs Campus, can purchase a Residential Meal Plan. A Meal Plan is pre-paid account for your student's on-campus meals. At the start of the term, the student pays for all the meals they will eat in the dining halls. To learn more, please visit our Dining Services page.

What are Bagged Meal requests?

Our university offers Bagged Meal requests for our Hartford Campus students. Due to travel distance between campuses, and potential schedule conflicts with available meal times at UConn Storrs, students are able to request a bagged meal to take with them when traveling between campuses. To learn more, Dinning Services.